Monday, April 23, 2007

Daleks in Manhattan

This past Saturday saw the return of the Doctor's oldest foes.

Don't cry over spoiled episodes.

As the title may imply, the Doctor and Martha land in New York, and what a refreshing local it is. As much as I love England, and London, I am getting very tired of that being the most visited place on the Doctor's recent journeys.

They did a very good job of realizing New York of the 1930's, and I didn't hear any accents that stood out as "fake"

Daleks in Manhattan 01

As for the story itself, it felt like a classic series story to some degree, but not in as positive a way as "The Shakespeare Code" did. It wasn't a bad episode, but there was a lot of running around corridors/sewers and a lot of setup, as it is the first of a two-part story.

My two main gripes are the pig men and the Daleks.

The Daleks need lackeys, but rather than make robomen (mind controlled men from classic series), they somehow think it would be a good idea to kidnap homeless people and turn them into pig headed creatures. Literally men with pig heads! Aside from the lameness of this idea, we already had a pig man created by the Slitheen in series one. Why the same idea? Will all be explained in episode two?

Daleks in Manhattan 02

And then there is the Daleks themselves. I know they are very popular, and the BBC has a limited time to use them based on the agreement with the estate of the Daleks original creator, but we don't need them in every series. There are only 13 episodes a year, and they featured in 3 episodes in series one, two episodes in series two, and so far, two episodes in series three.

Daleks in Manhattan 03

At least the whole basis of their appearance is that they realize that they need to evolve to survive, and my guess is that this may be the BBC's way to change them into new monsters that they would own the rights to, and maybe retire the Daleks for a bit. I can't see them doing away with them all together as they are immensely popular, and just ranked number one in a poll of scariest Doctor Who monsters.

David Tennant continues to impress me episode after episode. I had a feeling I'd like him when I first saw a pic of him as the new Doctor. He's fast becoming one of my all time favourite Docs.

Freema Agyeman is also impressing me as Martha. Rose was all right, but the clingy relationship was a bit over the top for me. And in my mind it helps that she has been able to just be off adventuring with the Doctor, rather than being back at home every other episode like Rose was.

Overall, not a bad episode, but not a great one on it's own either. We'll just have to see how things pan out next week.

No comments: